Weekly Roundup – January 10, 2010
- “Sentient creatures: Transforming biopolitics and life matters” has issued a call for papers a conference in Oslo in Sept. 2010. Wish I had the money to go to this one.
- David Cassuto outlines the broader legal implications and history of the dismissal of a suit brought upon Ringling Brothers Circus on behalf of their elephants on the basis of lack of standing.
- Vegans of Color continue to highlight the lack of connection between the animal abolition movement, and the prison abolition movement with a recent move by PeTA (though I guess one would say that PeTA is not an abolitionist movement).
Newspapers and Magazines:
- The NY Times has an article, “Safety of Beef Processing Method is Questioned“. (h/t Animal Ethics, click the link for reader feedback to the article).
- Also The Times has an article that scientists have declared Dolphins the second most intelligent life, and should be treated as non-human persons. For some initial responses from the AR community, see Mary Martin and David Cassuto.
- Newsweek has an article on happy meat, or vegetarians who meat, “No More Sacred Cows.” (h/t Animal Rights).